Re: Latest *stable* 2.4.x kernel ?

Adam Bogacki wrote:

> Hi, I apt-downloaded the 2.4.14 kernel and all seemed to go well for two
> sessions

Try 2.4.17. See prior discussions about 2.4.14 stability issues.

> before it crashed and I cannot login beyond a low runlevel. Ker 2.2.x
> would not
> recognise the Promise controller on which my removable HD was mounted so a

Are you sure you just didn't need to cook your own 2.2.x kernel? I
thought I recalled seeing Promise cards in the 2.2.x kernels.

> 2.4.x ker was needed. I have worked around the problem by physically moving
> the empty drive to a PCI slot on the first controller and installed
> 2.2r4 ... which leaves the
> problem of rescuing the corrupted drive. I'd like to install asafe and
> stable 2.4.x kernel
> onto /dev/hdb so that I could have access to it. Any ideas ?
>
> Adam Bogacki,
> afb3@primus.com.au   (current ISP)
> adam@bogacki.net       (forwarding)

If by 2.2r4 you mean the Debian version, there's a portion of your
problem. Without the "bunk" packages, potato (Debian release 2.2rx)
doesn't play well with 2.4.x kernels. Upgrade to Debian 2.3 (woody) if
you need 2.4.x kernels.

Installing a 2.4.x kernel on your hdb could work, as long as you can
boot from hdb.

I'd suggest investigating if your particular Promise card can be
compiled into the 2.2.x kernel. If not, might be best to "apt-get
dist-upgrade" to woody, then install 2.4.17 kernel.

--Rich

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.