Re: OT: cdburning: tao, dao and fixating

At 1014149156s since epoch (02/19/02 09:05:56 -0500 UTC), Sebastiaan wrote:
> well, I guess so. It is made directly by mkisofs and it contains only
> files. But the same iso file burns correctly (after a couple of
> 'misburns').

In that case, then, it's probably not a bad image.  mkisofs shouldn't
give your burner any trouble whatsoever.  Also, somebody suggested the
following on this list before to check to see if an image is bad:

(Attributed to Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de>)

mount -o loop image.iso /mnt
tar c /mnt | wc

If tar reports any kind of read error, then you know that the
underlying image is bad.

> the drive never reported a buffer underflow error. But I will keep this in
> mind and give it a try.

Yeah.  Could just be that you have a bum drive.  That's weird that
cdrecord doesn't want to do DAO on it.

cdrecord does support -nofix and -fix, so maybe you could try burning
it with -nofix, and then going back afterwords and running -fix
separately.  That way, the drive might have an easier time fixating if
it's a separate operation and has has time to reset?  Total
speculation here on my part; I'm not a burning pro.

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |    jhealy@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/