Re: OT: cdburning: tao, dao and fixating

At 1014137262s since epoch (02/19/02 05:47:42 -0500 UTC), Sebastiaan wrote:
> I try to burn CD's with cdrecord, but I have a problem. I can burn an iso
> image (made with isofs) to a blank disc, but when the disc gets fixated, I
> directly get an error of the form 'Illegal Seek Error' or 'Segment not
> found'.

Is your ISO image good?  CDs have a lead-out on them that can occupy
the last two sectors of a disc.  If you have an ISO image that's taken
directly from a CD, it might have these two leadout sectors, which
could be ready by your cd burner as bad data.

I believe there's an option to cdrecord that reads the ISO and checks
its size before writing it out to disk.  Quoting from `man cdrecord`:

(Some ommisions made for brevity)

       -isosize
              Use the ISO-9660 file system size as  the  size  of
              the  next track.  This option is needed if you want
	      to read from a master CD; it is needed  to  prevent
              cdrecord  from  reading the two run out blocks that
              are appended by each CD-recorder in track  at  once
              mode.  These  two run out blocks cannot be read and
              would cause a buffer under run that would  cause  a
              defective copy.

That said, I've never had to use this option; I make my CD images with
dd and then burn them straight without any trouble.  I'm not sure when
this option would need to be used, but I thought I'd throw it out
there in case it helps you.

Jason
--
Jason Healy    |    jhealy@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/