OT: cdburning: tao, dao and fixating

Hello,

I try to burn CD's with cdrecord, but I have a problem. I can burn an iso
image (made with isofs) to a blank disc, but when the disc gets fixated, I
directly get an error of the form 'Illegal Seek Error' or 'Segment not
found'.

The idea I have of buring in track at once is:
- burn track by track starting from the center of the disc
- when fixating, go back to the center and write some final data

On the other hand, disk at once:
- just start at the center and burn in one trip

Because the drive is pretty old, I have the idea that the laser
calibration is not very good anymore. So when the disc gets fixated, the
drive is unable to find the precise location to burn. Sometimes it works
correct (i.e. the disc gets fixated), and sometimes it fails. I have not
found any regularity in it.

So I want to try to burn in disc at once mode, but cdrecord does not
support that option for my drive. However, the drive specs say that it is
capable of doing that.

For completeness:
- my drive is a HP CDwriter 7200+ (ide drive with scsi emulation)
- I record with: cdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=2 -v fs=8m -eject data.iso
- blank cd's are Arita's (my dad never had serious trouble with these)

So, my questions:

- is my idea of the cdburning proces correct?
- if so, is that really the problem (and if not, what could be)?
- how to force cdrecord to burn in disc at once

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan

--
  NT is the OS of the future. The main engine is the 16-bit Subsystem
  (also called MS-DOS Subsystem). Above that, there is the windoze 95/98