Moving to kernel 2.4.17 questions.

I am currently running kernel 2.2.17 on a Woody box.  I want to move to
kernel 2.4.17 (so that I can install a USB port) and I have a few
questions.

I have done an 'apt-get install' for the kernel package (586tsc) and
have lilo configured to boot either kernel.  The system will boot to the
new kernel, but there are a few messages during the boot that tell me I
have some tinkering to do.  That is where I need help.

The first problem is that the new kernel apparently does not find my
sound card, but the old kernel did.

When booting to 2.2.17, I get the following messages:

YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996
Found OPL3-SA2 (YMF711)

When booting to 2.4.17, I get this, however:

YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996
OPL3 not detected ff
opl3sa2: Activated ISA PnP card 0 (active=1)
opl3sa2: chipset version = 0x1
opl3sa2: Found OPL3-SA2 (YMF711)
opl3sa2: Search for a card at 0x880.
opl3sa2: Control I/O port 0x370 is not a YMF7xx chipset!
opl3sa2: There was a problem probing one  of the ISA PNP cards,
continuing
opl3sa2: Control I/O port 0x370 is not a YMF7xx chipset!
opl3sa2: There was a problem probing one  of the ISA PNP cards,
continuing
opl3sa2: Control I/O port 0x370 is not a YMF7xx chipset!
opl3sa2: There was a problem probing one  of the ISA PNP cards,
continuing
ttyS2: LSR safety check engaged!
ttyS2: LSR safety check engaged!
lp0: compatibility mode

I had enough trouble getting sound to work the first time.  I couldn't
tell you now what I did.  Does the 2.4.xx kernel handle sound
differently than 2.2.xx?  Can anyone give me a push in the right
direction, here?

My second problem is with IP spoofing and firewalls.  I have a very
simple 2 box network with the newer box connected to the Internet by ppp
and a crossover ethernet cable between the two boxes.  Nothing fancy,
just ipchains.  Unfortunately, ipchains is for kernel 2.2.xx and not for
2.4.xx.  This leaves me with the following messages at boot.

When booting to 2.2.17, I get the following messages:

Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Configuring network interfaces: done.
Starting portmap daemon: portmap.

When booting to 2.4.17, I also get this, however:

modprobe: Can't locate module ip_masq-ftp
/etc/rcS.d/S42ipfirewall: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always-defrag: No such
file or directory
ipchains: setting MASQ timeouts failed: Protocol not available
ipchains: Protocol not available
ipchains: Protocol not available

How do I set up spoofing and firewall for the 2.4.17 kernel?  Is there a
way to have it work for both until I am sure that I don't have other
problems with the new kernel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
--
Marc Shapiro                         "If you drink melomel every day,
m_shapiro@bigfoot.com                you will live to be 150 years old,