Re: potato web browsers

on Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 09:35:01AM -0600, Alex Malinovich (demonbane@the-love-shack.net) wrote:
> Galeon should work with no problems on a Potato system. I had it running
> for a couple of weeks on my desktop before I upgraded to sid. I've run
> it on a P133 with 40 megs of RAM with no major problems. And Galeon is,
> by far, the most superior browser I've had the pleasure of EVER using.
> There are relatively recent deb's available in non-US.

Believe, me, I _love_ Galeon.  For all I care, GNU/Linux is the superior
platform for web browsing -- Microsoft is chasing taillights.  Not all
the _media formats_ are supported, but the fundamental browser
experience rocks.  See Will Trillich's comments on my review ;-)

That said, I find Galeon _really likes_ its CPU cycles.  I've run it on
systems including PPro 180MHz 256 MiB,  PII-233MHz 256 MHz, PIII-450MHz
284 MB, and PIII-600MHz 128 MB.  Under intensive use (20 - 80+ tabs in
4-8 windows) it tends to bog on slower boxes or with < 128 MB.  You can
_user_ Galeon on lower end systems.  I find other browsers'
responsiveness is a strong plus here though.

Peace.