Re: potato web browsers

on Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:05:52PM -0600, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> i know that somewhere out there someone has concocted a list of
> potato-friendly x-window-system web browsers. nice comparison
> table. relative functionality and speed. utility. bugginess.

I've reviewed browsers in general at:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/browsers.html

For a lighter old system, I'd recommend:

  - w3m, lynx, or links, all text-mode.

  - BrowseX:  http://browsex.com/Features.html
    A Tcl/Tk based graphical browser with support for frames, SSL,
    Java/Javascript (and Tcl script :-), etc.
    Not packaged for Debian, but it's just a standalone binary.

  - Dillo.  Not pretty.  But fast and light.

For non-free:

  - Older versions of Netscape.  Up through about 4.04, though the 3.x
    versions are lighter and IMVAO more stable.  There are security
    issues.

  - Opera.