(YASQ) - Yet another sound question

I've been struggling to get sound to work on a Dell system I got
recently.  I'm running Woody with a 2.4.17 kernel.  I think my problem
has to do with the sound being integrated.  According to WinXP which is
also on this box, the chip is an intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97.  When
recompiling the kernel, I don't see anything that looks like it would
work for this.  Does anyone know if I'm overlooking something?

I ran apt-get install sndconfig and tried that.  It said it found device
8086:2445 and that is was unknown and not supported, but before giving
up, I thought I'd see if this is reliable information.

I'm running KDE on this computer.  I've only ever installed X on one box
before and on that I used gnome and esd for the sound server.  Which
sound server works best with KDE?  If I run sound server from KDE menu
it has arts listed as the sound server.  Is this what I should be using?

If anyone has any more info on this chip and can point me in the right
direction with the other stuff, I would greatly appreciate it.
--
Jason Stechschulte
jpstech@unoh.edu