Re: (YASQ) - Yet another sound question

* Jason Stechschulte (jpstech@unoh.edu) spake thusly:
> I've been struggling to get sound to work on a Dell system I got
> recently.  I'm running Woody with a 2.4.17 kernel.  I think my problem
> has to do with the sound being integrated.  According to WinXP which is
> also on this box, the chip is an intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97.  When
> recompiling the kernel, I don't see anything that looks like it would
> work for this.

There is an intel820 driver, actually, but I never tried it.
I got it to work with (FVO "with" approaching "despite") debian
alsa packages...

If you want to give that a try, recompile your kernel with
sound support (but no drivers). Install alsaconf and
alsa-[source|utils] packages, and follow the instructions for
building the intel82x driver. Install the driver, edit /etc/alsa/0.9
and delete all options the driver's complaining about when you
modprobe snd-card-0. Don't forget to re-run update-modules after
each edit. When you get the module to load, make /etc/alsa/0.9
chattr +i, so that alsaconf doesn't crap all over it later.

> I'm running KDE on this computer.  I've only ever installed X on one box
> before and on that I used gnome and esd for the sound server.  Which
> sound server works best with KDE?  If I run sound server from KDE menu
> it has arts listed as the sound server.  Is this what I should be using?

Ask on debian-kde. I never bothered with KDE sounds, all I want is a
working CD player. Kcd (or whatever it's called) works for me.

Dima
--
Q276304 - Error Message: Your Password Must Be at Least 18770 Characters
and Cannot Repeat Any of Your Previous 30689 Passwords           -- RISKS 21.37