Re: digital camera reccomendations for debian

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 10:20:15PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> begin  nate  quotation:
>
> > after my recent bout with printers...i feel the need
> > to ask the list what is a good COMPADIBLE digital
> > camera for debian(potato or testing, but not unstable).
> >
> > from the looks of it, gphoto is a popular program,
> > and supports a bunch of cameras,im lookin for something
> > under $500..
>
> Gphoto2 allegedly supports my Canon PowerShot G2, but I never got it to
> work; gphoto2 just insisted the camera wasn't there. Fortunately, I
> found a better solution anyway. The G2 uses compact flash (CF) cards for
> storage, and for $20 or so you can buy a USB reader for these CF cards.
> The CF reader looks to Linux like a removable SCSI drive, so you just
> put the card in it, mount the card as a VFAT filesystem, and copy the
> files off of it. No gphoto required. Though of course your kernel has to
> have decent USB support, so I don't know if a 2.2 kernel would do.

If gphoto2 'allegedly supports' your Canon PowerShot G2 then it
CERTAINLY sypport it and if it is not the case it would be YOUR FAULT if
it is wrongly supported because you don't report the failure.

It is not to late to try the last beta (beta5 in testing) and to report
your problem to the debian maintener ot to the upstream. This will
increase the quality of the stable release (comming soon) and you will
be able to say to Dan if the cam is supported or not. I would be suprise
if your camera is not supported.

Christophe

> > something that looks interesting is the
> > Canon PowerShot S300 mentioned on gphoto's page
> > as being compadible, i see it listed on one place i
> > buy from for $468. I don't know anything about
> > digital cameras, as far as what is considered good
> > or not, haven't used one before and haven't had a camera
> > period since 1993.
>
> Consult Digital Photography Review at http://www.dpreview.com for expert
> reviews and user opinions of a wide variety of digital cameras.
>
> The PowerShot S300, according to DP Review, uses CF card storage, so the
> card reader trick I mentioned above should work if your system has good
> USB support.
>
> > i'd like something that has a decent flash, and
> > decent quality.
>
> That depends what you mean by "decent". You'll have to judge for
> yourself; DP Review should have more than enough information, including
> sample pictures for many cameras.
>
> Craig

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.