Re: ext3 commit time

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 04:38:09PM +0100, Daniel Faller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running the ext3 filesystem on a laptop. The default value for the
> commit time of ext3 seems to be 30 sec, which is too short for the HD to spin
> down. How can I increase this timeout ?

Use tune2fs (man tune2fs for usage).

> Has anyone experineces of bad impacts in increasing this timeout to several
> minutes ?

I'd imagine the ill affects would be more likelyhood of losing data. You
know if your hd spins down in 10 minutes, and you set the timeout to 15,
it will be worse on the life of your drive, because of the constant spin
up/down. Journaling filesystems really aren't all that great for laptops
(maybe reiser or xfs have something to help this out, but I'm not sure).

Ben

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '