digital camera reccomendations for debian

after my recent bout with printers...i feel the need

to ask the list what is a good COMPADIBLE digital

camera for debian(potato or testing, but not unstable).

from the looks of it, gphoto is a popular program,

and supports a bunch of cameras,im lookin for something
under $500.. something that looks interesting is the
Canon PowerShot S300 mentioned on gphoto's page
as being compadible, i see it listed on one place i
buy from for $468. I don't know anything about
digital cameras, as far as what is considered good
or not, haven't used one before and haven't had a camera
period since 1993.

theres not much info on gphoto's site as far as
what is supported better then others, there is
a hardware compadiblity HOWTO(or something) that
mentions a bunch of sony models, sony is one brand
i will NOT be buying(for anything), so sony is out ..

i'd like something that has a decent flash, and
decent quality.

any/all advice would be much appreciated!!

thanks

nate