Printing - HP Office Jet T45

Guys - I need some help here.

I have my printing system so goofed up I don't know what end is up anymore,
but I've never been able to get anything other than "echo file > /dev/lp0" to
work.

I have:
Debian 2.2r5 (potato)
Kernel v2.2.19
KDE 2.1.2
HP Office Jet T45
GNU GhostScript 6.52 (precompiled to include the hpijs and ijs driver hooks)
HP's IJS drivers v1.0.2

I've tried LPD/LPRng with magicfilter, but couldn't get magic filter to
recognize my new HP driver (although when magicfilter did a gs-h it did show
the driver hook was there).  Same problem with apsfilter.  I've been to the
Linux Printing.org site and followed the instructions for lpdomatic and
foomatic-gswrappers, all with no luck.

Man, I thought X was frustrating.  And I'm not exactly an newbie here.  I got
X, KDE, CDR/CDRW, SAMBA, VMWare, IPMASQ and a host of other stuff up, not to
mention recompling my kernel a few times along the way.  I even managed to
get GhostScript compiled without much effort.

Linux printing is a complete and utter mess.  What can I do?  Should I try
CUPS instead?  Will it even work with my system or do I have to get woody?
Why is this so freaking hard?  What can I do to debug things?  When I send
'lpr -Pojet <file>", I get no errors, and nothing on the printer.  Nothing in
the syslogs or /var/spool/lpd/ojet indicates where my output went.  How can I
figure out what's wrong?  If CUPS will help, is anyone using it with Potato
and my printer?

I've been on this for 5 days now.  I have to have my printer or Linux is
history and Windows comes back.