Re: full mirror of a potato server?

"Philip Iezzi" <debian@iezzi.ch> writes:

> I'd like to mirror a whole server with the whole configuration and
> all data.  Is there some tool to do this?

Yes and no.

If you're speaking of, say, simply grabbing files off of another
machine and mirroring that data, yes, absolutly - this is common.  I
personally like wget. But since you mention "a whole server with the
whole configuration and data", I wonder exactly what you mean by this.

Let me explain: If you're using the term "server" in the sense of "a
computer I have complete access to that we have assigned to the
function of an (FTP | HTTP | NAME) Server" then yes.

OTOH, if you mean, "Some person's server somewhere", perhaps, if you
know the people running it.

It is a security risk to open up configuration data to just anyone
regarding, say, an HTTP Server or FTP Server. Also, it would not be
good if an HTTP server was allowing just anyone to read the raw
scripts (such as php, asp, or perl).

The best method I've used to mirror another machine is via FTP using
wget. The FTP Server on the "machine to be mirrored" must allow normal
users to log in and that normal (real) user must have read access to
all the files you want to mirror. wget logs in as that specific user
and copies the file(s) it needs to mirror the other machine. wget
has an option for mirroring. You could easily make a cron job to
do this hourly, daily, weekly, etc.

Elizabeth