Re: usb mouse [added some detail]

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:29:11PM -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
| On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:25:06PM -0700, Jason Majors scribbled...
| > How do I get a USB mouse to work?
| > I'm running Sid with kernel 2.4.17, and have enabled:
| >
| > CONFIG_INPUT
| > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV
| > CONFIG_USB
| > CONFIG_USB_UHCI
| > CONFIG_USB_HID
| >
| > I have an Asus K7VE with the KT133 chipset and a Logitech USB mouse.

Is that a UHCI or OHCI controller?

| Figured I should actually list my problem...
|
| I got the kernel compiled and running, but the help under the kernel
| tool said the mouse should be available as /dev/input/mouseX. That does
| not exist and my guess attempt at MAKEDEV didn't work.
| Where is the device? Or how do I create it?

If you use devfs (I do) then the device file will automagically exist
iff the device exists.  (also, '/dev/input/mice' is a file that
outputs all mice interraction simultaneously)

If you want to see if the device is working (IOW the kernel is
configured correctly), put this in your fstab

usbdevfs    /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs  defaults                0 0

and look under /proc/bus/usb and see if any devices exist.

-D

--

If Microsoft would build a car...
... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You