Re: Can't un/install xdm/gdm/wdm

Noah Meyerhans wrote:

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 04:17:25PM -0600, Kent West wrote:

Setting up gdm (2.2.5.3-2) ...
dpkg: error processing gdm (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

Well, if you want some debugging output, try adding the -x flag to the
#!/bin/sh line in /var/lib/dpkg/info/{g,w,x}dm.postinst scripts.

Well, that's a neat trick. Here's partial output of "apt-get install gdm"; I'm not sure what it means.

Setting up gdm (2.2.5.3-2) ...
+ set -e
+ . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
++ '[' '!' '' ']'
++ exec /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/gdm.postinst configure 2.2.5.3-2
dpkg: error processing gdm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

Also, try running dpkg-reconfigure on the packages in question.

Results:

fafsa-01[westk]:/var/lib/dpkg/info> sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: gdm is not fully installed

fafsa-01:~# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

There is only 1 program which provides x-session-manager
(/usr/bin/gdm). Nothing to configure.

fafsa-01:~# /etc/init.d/gdm start
Not starting GNOME Display Manager (gdm); it is not the default display manager.fafsa-01:~#

This is all because x-session-manager is no longer used to choose the
display manager.  Instead, a debconf hack is used to create
/etc/X11/default-display-manager, which contains the name of the display
manager to use.  /etc/init.d/gdm is telling you above that gdm is not
listed in that file.  I suspect that the reason you're having this
problem has something to do with the debconf mechanism involved, but I
can't say for sure.  The suggestions I gave above should yield some
interesting info.

The 'default-display-manager' referred to 'wdm', so I changed it manually to 'gdm' and then tried to uninstall gdm. Still failed. So then I tried to uninstall wdm, and here's the transcript:

fafsa-01[westk]:/etc/X11> sudo apt-get remove wdm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  wdm
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 1147kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 26154 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing wdm ...
dpkg: error processing wdm (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 10
+ set -e
+ . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
++ exec /usr/share/debconf/frontend /var/lib/dpkg/info/wdm.postinst abort-remove
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 wdm

noah
(wdm maintainer)

Thanks for the response, Noah!