Can't un/install xdm/gdm/wdm

I've gotten into a situation on Woody where I can not install nor
uninstall xdm or gdm or wdm. I can install other things.

Here's some relevant output:

fafsa-01:~# apt-get install xdm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, xdm is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Setting up gdm (2.2.5.3-2) ...
dpkg: error processing gdm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Setting up wdm (1.20-13) ...
dpkg: error processing wdm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
Setting up xdm (4.1.0-13) ...
dpkg: error processing xdm (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 gdm
 wdm
 xdm
fafsa-01:~#

The same type thing happens with gdm and wdm.

Here's more:

fafsa-01:~# apt-get remove xdm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  xdm
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 664kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 26154 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing xdm ...
dpkg: error processing xdm (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 10
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 xdm
fafsa-01:~#

And more:

fafsa-01:~# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

There is only 1 program which provides x-session-manager
(/usr/bin/gdm). Nothing to configure.

fafsa-01:~# /etc/init.d/gdm start
Not starting GNOME Display Manager (gdm); it is not the default display
manager.fafsa-01:~#

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Kent