Re: xterm resource settings and woody

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 09:12:23AM +1300, Cameron Kerr wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, CaT wrote:
>
> >Just did an upgrade of my woody setup and found my xterm's default
> >resource settings changed. Most annoying. Anyhow... in trying to change
>
> Hmm, so /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm* mustn't be marked as a conf file
> (perhaps).

Well they don't seem to affect anything which is annoying.

> >Anyhow... How can I do this? Can anyone help? The present settings hurt
> >my eyes, give me an xterm that's 66 chars wide (when it was 80 before) a
> >visual bell which is excessively annoying and a scrollbar that is useless
> >to me due to my being happy in using the kboard to get around. Help...
>
> Well thats not Debian defaults!

:)

> Personal settings should be made in your ~/.Xresources or ~/.Xdefaults
> file. Once you've changed them, you can run xrdb -override ~/.Xresources,
> and start a new xterm.

Yeah. I know of those. Thing is I have a few users on my system and I'd
like to change the defaults so that I only need to modify one thing and
be able to affect them all at the one time.

I'm wondering if this is a KDE thing as the default font that is being
used is courier (at a guess).

> Personally, I also stick in my ~/.bashrc this,
>
> if [ $TERM = "xterm" ]; then
> 	TERM=xterm-color
> fi

I'd put that in .bash_profile and export it. Or, if you want to make the
change global, /etc/profile and export it there.

--
SOCCER PLAYER IN GENITAL-BITING SCANDAL  ---  "It was something between
friends that I thought would have no importance until this morning when