Re: speech synthesis on-the-fly

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:56:48 +0000
Hereward Cooper <zadok@phreaker.net> wrote:

> ---
> I'm off list, please CC:
> ---
>
> Hi,
> I'm re-wiring a network and am trying to recreate a system which I read
> in "the story of ping"[1]. Basically you use a speech synthesiser to
> call out PING as loud as possible for every successful ping of another
> machine on the network. This means you can go round the building playing
> with the cabling looks for errors, and know as soon as you find one :)
>
> What I'm basing the system on is:
>
> ping attic | sed -e 's/.*/ping/' | festival --tts
>
> The problem is that it won't work 'on-the-fly' i.e. as the ping command
> is running, not once the ping command has finished. I managed to get sed
> working on-the-fly by using ssed (super-sed). But I can't get festival
> working on-the-fly, calling out PING as they happen :(
>
> Has anyone got something like this working?

There are ping modules for perl and python.  Maybe you'll have
to write a little script to make things play nice.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
!  "As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft |
|   made it popular" David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del   |