Re: speech synthesis on-the-fly

Hereward Cooper wrote:
> ping attic | sed -e 's/.*/ping/' | festival --tts
>
> The problem is that it won't work 'on-the-fly' i.e. as the ping command
> is running, not once the ping command has finished. I managed to get sed
> working on-the-fly by using ssed (super-sed). But I can't get festival
> working on-the-fly, calling out PING as they happen :(

Here is some code from my festserv daemon that explains the problem:

                        while ($inbuffer{$client}=~s/(.*\n)//) {
                                print FESTIVAL $1;
                                # Festival will not say a line of text until it
                                # sees the end of a sentance or until it sees
                                # another word. Since we won't want it waiting
                                # on another word, use this trick to make it speak
                                # immediatly.
                                print FESTIVAL "\n.\n";
                        }

--