speech synthesis on-the-fly

---
I'm off list, please CC:
---

Hi,
I'm re-wiring a network and am trying to recreate a system which I read
in "the story of ping"[1]. Basically you use a speech synthesiser to
call out PING as loud as possible for every successful ping of another
machine on the network. This means you can go round the building playing
with the cabling looks for errors, and know as soon as you find one :)

What I'm basing the system on is:

ping attic | sed -e 's/.*/ping/' | festival --tts

The problem is that it won't work 'on-the-fly' i.e. as the ping command
is running, not once the ping command has finished. I managed to get sed
working on-the-fly by using ssed (super-sed). But I can't get festival
working on-the-fly, calling out PING as they happen :(

Has anyone got something like this working?

TIA

[1] http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html

--
Thanks,