RE: root account problem

Be advised.  Before deleting files, be sure you know how to replace them.  In most cases, it's mor prudent to make copies of files instead of deleting them.  Such as change .profile to .profile.bak.  Don't put yourself into a position where you might go past the point of no return.

To regain your ~/.profile, copy /etc/profile -> ~/.profile, and copy /etc/bash.bashrc into ~/.bashrc.  Then edit your PATH variable to include /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin and any other bin directories that seem appropriate.  -mk
-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Schoenebeck [mailto:christian.schoenebeck@epost.de]
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 11:04 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: root account problem

Hi!

I had to delete some settings, so I simply deleted every file and folder in
the /root directory. This caused some strange effects:
When I now login as root, the prompt is now root@host instead of just host.
But most important, I can't execute sbin programs (reboot, halt, etc.)
anymore without using su command.

How can I fix it and what was my mistake?

Thanks,

Christian Schoenebeck