Re: Where to put dns server & default gateway address ?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 07:56:10 -0800 (PST)
faisal gillani <fasi_74@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello list
>
> i have just installed debian 2.2 on my system ..i was
> very impress by the simple setup program &
> configuration ... i only want to know where to put dns
> server & default gateway address ?

Do you have a static IP or DHCP-served IP?

If DHCP-served, then dhcp-client will do it all for you, including
creating the DNS file, as long as you have this in
your /etc/network/interfaces :
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp
Also, you must have a /etc/dhclient.conf file.  For someone
who used to be an @HOME cusomer, it looks something like this:
  interface "eth0" {
      send host-name "cx36001-a";
  }

If static, you must create /etc/network/interfaces yourself:
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
	address <your.static.IP.address.provided.by.ISP>
	netmask <netmask.provided.by.ISP>
	network <ntwork.provided.by.ISP>
	broadcast <broadcast.IP.address.provided.by.ISP>
	gateway <gateway.IP.address.provided.by.ISP>
You must also create /etc/resolv.conf:
  search <ISP.domain.name>
  nameserver <IP.address.of.primary.DNS.server>
  nameserver <IP.address.of.secondary.DNS.server>

Good luck...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
!  "As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft |
|   made it popular" David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del   |