Re: potato web browsers

<quote who="will trillich">
> i know that somewhere out there someone has concocted a list of
> potato-friendly x-window-system web browsers. nice comparison
> table. relative functionality and speed. utility. bugginess.
>
> searching at google finds waaaay too many not-even-close pages.
>
> so, what browsers are available as potato-friendly *.deb for X?

Opera 5 and Opera 6 are potato friendly. in my experience
opera 6 is woody-hostile though. opera 5 works good in woody.

netscape 4.7x works good in potato too. opera 5 and netscape 4.7x
are my main browsers on potato/woody and solaris.

course netscape requires a lot of memory, for most things i
would reccomend at least a machine with 256MB for heavy
netscape usage(most of my machines are 512MB or better).

mozilla seems slow, konq i havent had much experience with,
though i have read somewhere that it is worse at security
then IE which worries me. and to get a new version you
gotta use 3rd party debs ..something i try to avoid
when possible unless its a single package(like opera)
and not a half dozen libraries that affect other
apps.

opera with the banner is annoying, so unless you can
live with it or buy it(i did), it may not be worth using.

once mozilla starts feeling snappy on my 733mhz systems
i'll start using it, the UI is just sooooooo slow.

nate