Re: mysterious kernel panic at start up and it's workaround

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 06:01:34AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:

| I'm gonna feel pretty stupid about this, I think.  Like Aaron, I could
| get a rescue disk to work.  No amount of fiddling  with "root=" or
| "append=root=" in either lilo.conf or at boot would get 2.4 up and
| running.

Did you specify any "initrd" stuff?  I don't use lilo, but for grub
the config looks like (with hda1 as root) :

title       Debian GNU/Linux (2.4.17-k7 , 1280x1024x16)
root        (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17-k7 root=/dev/hda1 read-only video=vesa vga=0x31A
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.4.17-k7

(the key is the "initrd" line at the end instead of a "boot" line)

| So I booted into "Linux-old" and went looking at files.  I
| found appropriate links in / for both the old and the new (curiously,
| the kernel 2.2 link is owned by me (as regular user) while the kernel
| 2.4 link is owned by root).  In /boot I found:
|
| -rwxr-xr-x  1 root   root   ... vmlinuz-2.2.17
| -rw-r--r--  1 root   root   ... vmlinuz-2.4.17-686
|
| Notice that 2.4 is not executable!  I think that a chmod +x might solve
| the problem.  Right now, I'm too ditzy for sleep to be mucking around
| with root privileges.  So, goodnight.

I don't think that matters.  Permissions are a system thing (IOW, the
kernel deals with it on a running system) and the boot loader isn't
going to care.  The bootloader will read the file, stuff it in memory,
and jump to its entry point.

-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be