Re: Creating boot floppies

Hi Bill!

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   The creation of boot floppies used to occur during the installation of
>   kernel-image. However, when I just installed 2.4.17, I wasn't asked to
>   create a boot floppy. And I want to create one.
>
>   I discovered mkrescue but every operation resulted in some sort of an
>   error, not the least of which was trying to cram a 3.3 MB initrd image
>   and a 650 kB kernel onto a 1.44 MB floppy. I'm still without a boot
>   floppy and having had dire need of them in the past, I am very
>   interested in making another.
>
>   Why was the creation of the boot floppy dropped from the installation
>   of kernel-image? What is the alternative?

if you just need a boot disk to boot you system, not a rescue disk you
might want to use mkboot

mkboot [-r rootpartition] [-i] [kernel]

otherwise you want should take a look at the mkrboot package

yours martin
--
<martin@wuertele.net> ------------------------------ NO HTML MAILS PLEASE
             PGP/GPG encrypted and signed messages preferred