Re: mysterious kernel panic at start up and it's workaround

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 03:44:58AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:02:23 -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 08:50:07PM -0800, Aaron Brashears wrote:
> >> Request_module[block-major-3] Root fs not mounted
> >> VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
> >So you can not mount root.  Is root ext2?

I presume it is, since the rescue disk can deal with it happily.

> >> The funny thing is that if I use the append root=/dev/hda3 in
> >> lilo.conf, it doesn't work. However if I load the debian rescue disk
> >> and specify root=/dev/hda3, the kernel boots fine. Why won't it just
> >> boot?

That error message (to my eyes) appears to be complaining that it
can't load the kernel module for block devices with major #3, which
is your primary IDE bus.

The problem is (I think) that the prepackaged kernels need an initrd
to boot off, to load modules like IDE support from.

To fix that, you'll have to do some reading. I compile my own kernels
precisely because I don't want to muck about with modules or initrds. :-)

> >Let's do one thing.  Boot system with boot disk with root=/dev/hda3
> >and gain root.

> Now my ignorant question is--how do you pass arguments prior to or
> during boot?  As above, how does one go about booting the system off the
> rescue disk with "root=/dev/hda3"? <--My 7th grade English teacher would
> have had a cat :-), but doing it right looks so wrong.

When you see LILO, hit shift or something. (Or turn on caps lock before
that point)
You should get a prompt. If you hit TAB at that point, it'll show you
the kernel names you can boot. Type the kernel name, followed by the
commands you want to pass it. This is the same as putting
append=root=/dev/hda3
in lilo.conf, which is different from putting
root=/dev/hda3
in lilo.conf. Subtly different, but different nonetheless.

This should be mentioned on the rescue disk's opening screens. F3 I
think...

> ># vi lilo.conf
> ># lilo
> ># shutdown -r now

> Further, it looks like you're opening vi with the file lilo.conf which
> seems unlikely since lilo.conf is in /etc, isn't it?  Is this actually
> opening a configurator?  (I don't have any man pages available at the
> moment.) And, no editing is indicated.  Then, run lilo.  OK.
> Shutdown/reboot.

'vi lilo.conf' is supposed to mean 'edit /etc/lilo.conf appropriately' but
in a rather esoteric shorthand way. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.