Re: mysterious kernel panic at start up and it's workaround

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:02:23 -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:

>Hi,
>On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 08:50:07PM -0800, Aaron Brashears wrote:
>> I upgraded my kernel using the prepackaged 2.4.17 pentium pro
>So you upgraded kernel.
>
>> Request_module[block-major-3] Root fs not mounted
>> VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or 03:03
>So you can not mount root.  Is root ext2?
>> The funny thing is that if I use the append root=/dev/hda3 in
>> lilo.conf, it doesn't work. However if I load the debian rescue disk
>> and specify root=/dev/hda3, the kernel boots fine. Why won't it just
>> boot?
>
>Let's do one thing.  Boot system with boot disk with root=/dev/hda3
>and gain root.
>
># vi lilo.conf
># lilo
># shutdown -r now

I have posted this same problem 2/6 for which I apologize to the list
for not having caught this thread.

Now my ignorant question is--how do you pass arguments prior to or
during boot?  As above, how does one go about booting the system off the
rescue disk with "root=/dev/hda3"? <--My 7th grade English teacher would
have had a cat :-), but doing it right looks so wrong.

Further, it looks like you're opening vi with the file lilo.conf which
seems unlikely since lilo.conf is in /etc, isn't it?  Is this actually
opening a configurator?  (I don't have any man pages available at the
moment.) And, no editing is indicated.  Then, run lilo.  OK.
Shutdown/reboot.

I have seen this all discussed on the list and in various books, but the
mechanics of it seems to have avoided mental absorption.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash