Re: Accented characters with unstable

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 11:24, Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> I can not yet master the voodoo of keyboard config, but from root, try
> "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and add, for example "it_IT ISO-8859-1" or
> "it_IT@euro ISO-8859-15" for euro support (i don't like the translated
> message so i've checked also "en_US ISO-8859-1").
>
> Now modify your LANG enviroment variable (or you can do globally
> modifying /etc/environment) with something like "export
> LANG=it_IT@euro"...
>
> Hope this helps.

It works !!!

Thanks very much.

The only problem I have now is that it appears that my environment
doesn't pick up what I specify in /etc/environment, and I have to set it
up in a .bash_profile

Also, applications started from GDM don't have the proper locale set, so
if I open a gnome-terminal from the panel and then I type some accented
characters in there, they don't show. However, if I start another
gnome-terminal from the command-line of the previous one, it works.
I guess I need LANG to be set before gnome-session or whatever gets
called, but what is the proper way to do this ?

Tristan