sftp no login

I am trying to login to a machine using sftp.  I can ssh without any problem.
The FAQ mentions trying with sftp host /usr/bin/true and seeing if there is
any output. When I try I get "Unknown command" which makes since because there
is no file called true.

What can I do to fix this problem?

debug1: packet_send2: adding 32 (len 23 padlen 9 extra_pad 64)
debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method keyboard-interactive
debug1: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: send channel open 0
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
debug1: Sending subsystem: sftp
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 16384
Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x80585e8(0x0)
debug1: channel_free: channel 0: client-session, nchannels 1
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x80633ec(0x0)
Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer

--

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other
                            sets of psople are human
                                       -
                                 Aldous Huxley