Problem with Seagate ATA Tape drive

	I have a Seagate STT8000A IDE tape drive which up until a couple of
days ago, was working perfectly. That was under kernel 2.4.9-686. Over
the weekend, I upgraded to 2.4.17-686, and now I get 'Device or
resource busy' whenever I try to access the tape. lsof and fuser do not
report the device in use; ps shows no processes that could be using the
tape.
	I've looked for some information on the internet, but I haven't
found a similar case anywhere.

Particulars:

kernel-image-2.4.17-686 (Debian package)
append 'hdc=ide-tape' in lilo.conf
tape drive attached at /dev/hdc (secondary master)
/dev/tape points to /dev/ht0 (first and only tape in the system)

Any ideas? (Please CC me any responses as I am not subscribed to the
list)

TIA,
--
Mike Alborn <malborn@odoitau.dyn.dhs.org>
# pgp keyid: C36DC30B

If you want me to be a good little bunny just dangle some carats in front
of my nose.
		-- Lauren Bacall