Re: Segfaults in seemingly unrelated programs

n Sun, 2002-02-03 at 17:09, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:52:36PM -0700, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 jim@leary.csoft.net wrote:
> > I had similar symptoms once. Segfaults and apparently corrupted disk
> > files. It turned out to be a bad memory SIMM. Try running memtest86 for
> > awhile (10 minutes to an hour or more; depends on how much memory you have
> > and how fast the cpu is).
> >
> > After I replaced the memory, I reinstalled all packages "in-place"
> > (declining any config files) to refresh any files that may have been bad.
> > Made me feel better, at least.
>
> I had the same thought, though I'm not sure how an overheated CPU fan
> could damage the memory.  It seems more likely that the libraries Jim
> mentions are corrupted, and the one program that works is somehow
> "lucky".  A memtest couldn't hurt, though.

It's not he fan that's overheating, it's the CPU. The fan is merely not
doing it's work properly due to the second CPU slocket blocking the
airflow.

Swapping out all memory was an even faster test than waiting for
memtest86 to complete. There is still the minuscule probability that
both sets of memory chips are faulty, but I guess my hardware problems
are driving me paranoid.