Re: Segfaults in seemingly unrelated programs

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:52:36PM -0700, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 jim@leary.csoft.net wrote:
>
> > Due to a faulty fan, one CPU overheated and brought the system down. On
> > restart, fsck indicated that some filesystem corruption occured.
> >
> > On startup, gdm would not start. After entering my username in the
> > console, the login prompt came back without giving me the opportunity to
> > enter my password. The logical next step, booting in single user mode.
> >
> > In single user mode, it quickly appeared that a few programs segfault.
>
> I had similar symptoms once. Segfaults and apparently corrupted disk
> files. It turned out to be a bad memory SIMM. Try running memtest86 for
> awhile (10 minutes to an hour or more; depends on how much memory you have
> and how fast the cpu is).
>
> After I replaced the memory, I reinstalled all packages "in-place"
> (declining any config files) to refresh any files that may have been bad.
> Made me feel better, at least.

I had the same thought, though I'm not sure how an overheated CPU fan
could damage the memory.  It seems more likely that the libraries Jim
mentions are corrupted, and the one program that works is somehow
"lucky".  A memtest couldn't hurt, though.

This is a randomly generated .sig, I swear.

Rob

--
You will be called upon to help a friend in trouble.