Re: internet connection - was: solved: CS4236 ...

On Saturday 02 February 2002 07:32 pm, Klaus Neumann wrote:
> [...]

to check that all of your installed apps are properly configured, do

dpkg -C

and post the results of that. there may be something else that screwed up. if
the command above runs cleanly, bringing you back to a prompt without error
messages, then everything is in order, as far as what's been installed so far
is concerned.

if you can't ping your nameserver, then you're not going to get anything out
of whois, either. whois <web address, or ip address> would return domain name
registration info for whatever address you give it. for instance, here's a
smidge of what whois tells me about whidbey.net:

 Administrative Contact:
      Denka, Mike  (MD135)  mdenk@WHIDBEY.NET
      WhidbeyNet
      14888 SR 525
      Langley, WA  98260
      US
      (360) 341-0009

doesn't really matter, right now, though.

it also doesn't matter that you use wvdial--it's a fine dialer; there are
many others, as well, but the point is it's not going to be the cause of the
kind of problem you're having.

are you using the same machine to send mail to the list. if so, then you're
connection is staying alive, so it's not that. that you're not getting a fast
answer to your problem is due to the fact that it's mighty weird what's going
on there. check /etc/network/interfaces. on my system, the important part of
it looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

if yours doesn't, then that could be the source of the problem.

try to think of what is different about the new installation, and start
making notes of anything you may have been unsure about in the course of the
initial configuration.

are there any alternative dns ip's available at your isp; ie, can you be
certain that the isp isn't having a dns problem right now, or may even have
changed their dns servers? it has been know to happen. are you sure that
you're dialing into the right number? are there optional numbers that you can
try? is there anyone you can call who uses the same setup to connect to the
web to check that? this actually happened to me--i had the last digit wrong
by one; the call was answered by a modem and i thought i was connected but
couldn't get anywhere. in fact, you should also check /etc.wvdial.conf to
make sure that you have the right baud setting for the modem you're dialling
into.

the main thing is, don't get hung up on what you can't do. focus more on the
fact that there is, however elusive, a logical reason behind the problem, and
its solution is going to involve a wealth of understanding that can't be
bought by any other means than having the problem in the first place. it's a
good lesson.

by the way, you live in one of my favorite parts of the world. if i could,
i'd be living on orcas, sucking in that chlorophyl.

ben