Re: burning debian CDs

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 07:32:40PM -0800, Hay Seed wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>      I just tried my first couple of cd burning
> experiments.  The music and photo ones went well, but
> my copy of deb 2.2r3 seems to not be entirely correct.

You should be using debian image cds (.iso image files)... No user interaction necessary as fas as I know...

Are you just plain copying cd off your hard drive? Create an image, it may be easier... :-)

>      all the file names are truncated (8.3) and in
> caps.
> The shortened names correspond to the abbreviated
> names in the file TRANS.TBL.  I am guessing that the
> CD is missing the rockridge extensions.  Is there any
> way around this or do I have to make a new CD ?
> With these untranslated 8.3 filenames, I don't seem to
> be able to do an install.
CD's are WORM = write once, read many... Once burned, that's it, unless you are using CD-RW (rewritable CD's)... Just get a new cd and repeat everything with .iso image...

>      I don't know much about burning CDs, so details
> be helpful in any proposed solutions.  I have been
> using Toaster on an imac, cause I have neither a fast
> connection to the 'Net nor a burner.  I suspect that
> Toaster doesn't do 'Nix filename extensions.  I had
> choice of mac CDs, pc CDs or hybrids with or without
> extensions.  There was nothing to indicate if the
> extensions were rockridge or joliette.

If you have to chose (and you shouldn't since you should be burning .iso images), choose PC cd. I believe there will be an option in Toaster for burning images.It's pretty much standard.

>      Anyone know if I can salvage this CD or how best
> to go about making a new one ?

create an image... CD you cannot salvage as it was burned once and that's it... be careful... once burned, that's it...

>      TIA.

Have fun, don't give up,

Davor