Re: OT: Rant

sorry to chime in so late, but I normally skip rants:)

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:09:00AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:57:50AM +0100, frankie@fini.sk wrote:
> > In TeX you should write
> >
> > lefthand string\hfilcenter string\hfilrighthand string
>
> I don't think that would work properly in cases where the left and
> right sections are of different lengths.  My understanding of how

right, so tell LaTex to treat those strings as taking up no space by
boxing them up in zero length boxes and position those strings as
appropriate, like in:

\makebox[0pt][l]{lefthand string}\hfill
center string\hfill
\makebox[0pt][r]{righthand string}

You could even write your own macro to do this, like:

\newcommand{\troffCenter}[3]{\
   \makebox[0pt][l]{#1}\hfill#2\hfill\makebox[0pt][r]{#3}}

--
groetjes, carel