Re: OT: info on Tekram 315U and scsi in general

hi,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:49:30PM +0000, Shriram Shrikumar wrote:
> Hello wise people of debian-user,
>
> Apologies for the off-topic post but in my experience, debian-user seems
> to encompass the more intelligent of the human species and seem to be
> able to answer almost any question.
>
> I have decided to take the first steps into the world of SCSI and have
> bought three 2gb hard drives (on impulse which was probably not a good
> start).
>
> I am now looking to buy a pci scsi card and the cheapest one I found was
> the tekram 315U (£30). I also intend to have an IDE hard drive so the
> no-boot part is OK.
>
> Is this card generally well supported in the 2.4 range kernels and are
> there any things in particular that I have to look out for while taking
> on this endeavour.

according to the suse hardware database it is fully supported

> Also, is this a generally good card and does striping provide decent
> performance improvements (im thinking of using lvm)

i personally have best experience with dawicontrol, adaptec and symbius
logic cards. never tried tekram yet so i can't tell you if it is a good
card. striping does give a performance improve, i have 2 udma100 disks in
one of my boxes and the lvms i stripe are much faster than a single disk.
check out the software raid howto for some tips regarding chunk size and
block size (raid 0).

hth martin
--
<martin@wuertele.net> ------------------------------ NO HTML MAILS PLEASE
             PGP/GPG encrypted and signed messages preferred