Re: OT: Rant

On 24-Jan-02 Dan Griswold wrote:
> dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:
>> The LaTeX "center" environment follows that style too (FWIW).  (I
>> don't believe it is possible to have only part of a line be in a
>> center environment.  Nope, I just tried it.  \begin{center} starts a
>> new paragraph (or at least a line))
>>

> The \tabular environment is what you would use for this.

This looks like over-kill! The \tabular envoronment
is heavy.

I don't know TeX well enough to know whether this is the
only option, but I would be surprised if it did not somewhere
have the equivalent of groff's ".tl":

  .tl 'lefthand string'centre string'righthand string'

which outputs a line with "lefthand string" left justified,
"centre string" centred, and "righthand string right
justified.

The typical use for such a thing is three-part running
headers on successive pages, which is a very basic
need, and there must be some way in which TeX does this
layout for this purpose, which could be borrowed.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 24-Jan-02                                       Time: 08:51:11