Re: Upgrading Potato, Kernel and installing KDE

Jatin Golani wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I sent this mail earlier to this list, however it's
>gone unanswered so far. I'd like to upgrade my Potato
>system. I'd like to know the following:

I think this was answered (though not directly) if
you'll observe the recent threads that flew in this
mailing list.

>a) Is Woody very very unstable and upgrading a real
>bad idea or is it tolerable (or more than tolerable)?

Judging from the general mood here in the mailing list,
I'd say tolerable enough to use (just bear with some
quirks it still has...). The installer for Potato is
no longer actively maintained, and Woody's close to
being frozen (I sure hope so... maybe this year?)

>b) Should I point my apt-get to the unstable or
>testing versions in apt-get's sources.list.

Woody is currently in testing, though it is widely
believed to be close to being frozen before it would be
released as the next stable distro. So point it to
testing.

>c) Is unstable called Woody or testing? What's Sid?

Sid is the unstable branch of Debian. Amazingly, unstable
is not so "unstable" as in "unusable" though there are
clear exceptions to the rule that exists.

>I'd also like to upgrade to Kernel 2.4.xx and then
>install KDE, would really appreciate any thoughts on
>how I should go about that.

In woody, KDE2 is included in the list. Woody is also
2.4 ready, meaning you just need to slap in a new
2.4 kernel and you're ready to go.

Potato - grab Adrian Bunk's unofficial packages to run
a 2.4 kernel in Potato.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com