OT: info on Tekram 315U and scsi in general

Hello wise people of debian-user,

Apologies for the off-topic post but in my experience, debian-user seems
to encompass the more intelligent of the human species and seem to be
able to answer almost any question.

I have decided to take the first steps into the world of SCSI and have
bought three 2gb hard drives (on impulse which was probably not a good
start).

I am now looking to buy a pci scsi card and the cheapest one I found was
the tekram 315U (£30). I also intend to have an IDE hard drive so the
no-boot part is OK.

Is this card generally well supported in the 2.4 range kernels and are
there any things in particular that I have to look out for while taking
on this endeavour.

Also, is this a generally good card and does striping provide decent
performance improvements (im thinking of using lvm)

FYI - I would intend to run one of the recent 2.4 kernels, the machine
is AMD 1.1GHz and has 256Mb RAM. This is not going to be a production
machine - just a home machine. I do realise that I dont NEED this but am
keen to learn more about scsi and get a high performance system.

Sorry for the long post - all opinions welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Shri