Re: apt-move & apt-proxy: a mini-HOWTO?

Thanks.

Afterwards, though, I found aptcached, which (after a Duh! config
error on my part) I was able to get up and running pretty easily.

It handles mixed woody-sid sites, and I could move all my DEBs out
of /var/cache/apt/archives into it's $cache_dir.  Unfortunately, it
won't run in potato.

http://talk.trekweb.com/~jasonb/software.shtml

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:09:08 +0100 Chris Halls <chris.halls@nikocity.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:53:24PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Is there such a thing?  I'm having some troubles knowing which
> > directory/directories are important if I want to share .debs
> > across a small LAN.
>
> Not at the moment.  I've only just begun to get apt-proxy up to date, and
> the manpages especially are not 100% acurate.
>
> /usr/share/doc/apt-proxy/README contains the most up to date installation
> instructions.  If you have suggestions for improvements, I'd be grateful for
> wishlist bugs explaining what could be improved.  Patches/updates get
> integrated even quicker :-)
>
> > Is apt-move's LOCALDIR supposed to be the same as apt-proxy's
> > APT_PROXY_CACHE?
>
> Yes, they are roughly the same thing, i.e. the toplevel directory for the
> cache.
>
> > Also, what about apt-move's FILECACHE, which
> > is where .debs are put by apt-get.
>
> apt-move takes files that apt has already downloaded to the hard disk and
> moves them into a cache directory, so it needs to know where apt downloaded
> them to - that's FILECACHE.  apt-proxy downloads the files itself from the
> archive, and then passes them on to apt.  So it doesn't need to know what
> apt did with them.  Flow of files:
>
> apt-move:
>   archive --(http or ftp)--> apt --(filesystem)--> apt-move
>
> apt-proxy:
>   archive --(rsync)--> apt-proxy --(http)--> apt
>
> > Also, it seems that when using apt-proxy, you don't need any
> > other sites in sources.list except http://MYSERVER:9999.  But,
> > apt-move.conf has APTSITES.
>
> That's right that apt doesn't need to know where the mirror is when using
> apt-proxy, which is useful when running apt-proxy for a number of machines,
> because if you need to change which mirror you use, you only have to modify
> it in /etc/apt-proxy/apt-proxy.conf on one machine.
>
> Actually, you probably do need more than one line in your sources.list - one
> per distribution name and per add_backend line in apt-proxy.conf.  For
> example, when using main and non-US for woody and sid:
>
> deb http://MYSERVER:9999/main woody main contrib non-free
> deb http://MYSERVER:9999/non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://MYSERVER:9999/main sid main contrib non-free
> deb http://MYSERVER:9999/non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> deb-src http://MYSERVER:9999/main sid main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://MYSERVER:9999/non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |