Re: ppp connection

On Wednesday 23 January 2002 10:21 pm, David Bell wrote:
> It's possible that the default route isn't being created properly.
> What's the output of route after the connection has been brought up?
>
> If a different default route is present, you'll need to remove it and
> add one for the dialup connection.  Once you get the IP/Gateway info,
> use this:
>
> route add default gw <PPP server IP> ppp0 (or whatever your dialup
> interface shows up as)
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 13:16, Jason Majors wrote:
> > I am trying to get a friend's Potato R3 install to connect to his ISP so
> > we can download and install a version of X that will work.
> > I ran pppconfig and entered the information correctly, but pppon fails to
> > connect.
> > I set up wvdial and ran it. It will connect and even get an IP address
> > for the ppp connection, but I cannot reach any outside boxes.
> > Unfortunately I've never set a Debian box up using a modem before, so I'm
> > stumped about what to do next. Any ideas?
> >
> > The ISP is earthlink.
> > The modem is a USR v.Everything Courrier External on ttyS0.

don't touch route. this is a simple dialup connection--double check that you
have the correct dns ip numbers. in fact, post your /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/hosts, and /etc/network/interfaces, so people can get an idea of what
the problem might be. do you have the right dialup number? it's possible that
you're dialing into a server that isn't part of the network you want to
connect to. if all else fails, get on the phone with the isp and get them to
explain why, when you've configured everything appropriately, that you can't
connect. the main thing here is that that route statement above is totally
superfluous for a simple dialup.