ppp connection

I am trying to get a friend's Potato R3 install to connect to his ISP so we
can download and install a version of X that will work.
I ran pppconfig and entered the information correctly, but pppon fails to
connect.
I set up wvdial and ran it. It will connect and even get an IP address for
the ppp connection, but I cannot reach any outside boxes.
Unfortunately I've never set a Debian box up using a modem before, so I'm
stumped about what to do next. Any ideas?

The ISP is earthlink.
The modem is a USR v.Everything Courrier External on ttyS0.

Thanks.