Re: Creating a Debian mirror from 2.2r0 CDs

Howdy, sorry about the long turnaround.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:32:40PM -0500, Jeremy L. Gaddis wrote:
> I am in the process of setting up a (private) Debian mirror
> for my local mirror.  I was just going to rsync the whole tree,
> and have already started, however, when a thought occured to me.
>
> I have here four Debian 2.2r0 CDs.  I was thinking I could copy
> the contents off the four CDs into my "debian/" tree and then
> rsync from that to only update what has changed (I'll only be
> mirroring stable/x86).  I am curious, though, on how many of the
> packages have been updated since 2.2r0.  I am also unsure of the

Debian Stable really is quite stable: each rx update only includes
security fixes and fixes for really, really important bugs.  I'd be
surprised if more than ~100 packages has been updated since 2.2 was
released.  So yes, it's probably a good idea to make use of your
existing files.

> packages have been updated since 2.2r0.  I am also unsure of the
> "right way(tm)" to get the packages from the CD into the correct
> directory structure on my file server.
>
> Ideally, there'd be some (apt?) utilities to take the files from
> the CDs and place them where they should go.  Then, I can continue
> on with my rsync without having to download every package.

The way I would do this under Woody (I'm presuming that these packages
are in stable as well) is thus:
1) have only the source you want to mirror in your sources.list
2) run 'apt-get update' to get the latest packages files.
3) copy your potato cd's to your mirror location, keeping the directory
   structure.
4) install apt-move
5) setup your /etc/apt-move.conf to list the servers you want to
   mirror, the ARCHS you want to mirror, your mirror directory
   (LOCALDIR) the DIST you want to mirror (stable, in this case), set
   DELETE=yes and (probably) STRICTMOVE to 'yes' as well.
6) Run (as root) 'apt-move -t update'.  The -t option will show you
   what apt-move is going to do, but doesn't actually do it.
7) If this looks fine, then give it a go without -t.

Hope it helps
-rob