Re: XFree 4.1 for Potato questions

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been bogged in mail...

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:52:46AM +0800, Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
> Just recently installed XFree 4.1 debs for Potato (using C.P. Botha's unofficial
> debs). Some questions:
>
> * After installing the unofficial debs, I didn't get the /etc/X11/X file. Is
> it a config file or a directory, or a symlink to /usr/bin/X11/XFree (which also
> didn't exist after the install). What do I need to do?
>
> * In XFree 3.3.6 I need only to enable X to listen to ports 7100 and 7101 to
> use truetype fonts, as well as install xfstt. How do I configure X to use
> true type fonts in XFree 4.x? any change in what to do?

You can use xfstt, but X4 has built in support for TrueType fonts.
You can just add the directory to your FontPath list.  You'll need to
run mkfontdir in each directory first (I think...), but then it should
work fine.

> * Any change in where do I place my configs for X? is it still in
> /etc/X11/XF86Config or in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?

If /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 exists then X will use it.  Otherwise, it
looks for /etc/X11/XF86Config and uses it.  It's probably a good idea
to stick with /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, just for clarity, and to avoid
any hard to diagnose problems later if you somehow have XFree86-3
installed.

-rob