Re: basic install problem

Elizabeth Barham wrote:

> Is it possible you didn't initialize your hard disks prior to your
> later installs? I imagine that debian puts a few files somewhere and
> the installer checks for these files - that is, it thinks something
> has happened (which would happen normally) but in fact hasn't
> happened.
>
> If this is the case, try re-installing but make sure that you re-make
> the filesystems (with mke2fs) on the drive(s) prior to installing.
>
> Elizabeth

Thanks for that, that's an interesting point... for the first install, I went into the disk
partitioning package that debian automatically offers you during install (is that mke2fs?) and
removed all partitions, remade them and reinitialised them. But when I install again, I'll pay more
attention to this aspect...
does mke2fs do anything special, or is it just a disk partitioning/formatting thing?

thanks
alex

--
Now playing: Bent - Swollen