basic install problem

Hi all
After losing my last install of debian (installed UDM66 flavour of kernel, it just died one day,
kernel panic at boot etc, couldn't get it fixed), I reinstalled it again last night (debian potato),
a bog standard install (no UDMA66 drive this time). I tried installing it twice, and both times,
things seemed to go ok, except that after being prompted to reboot (after the main part of the
install), it just booted into debian, rather than continuing the install process and asking me what
packages to install. There weren't any floppies/cd roms in any drive when I rebooted, so it's not
that old chestnut...
What am I doing wrong? I was definately asked what packages I wanted to install last time I
installed. Last night, both times I ended up with a basic system that didn't even have commands like
man or less installed... I know I could apt-get them and so on, but I want to install packages at
debian install time!

Any suggestions? I was running the installer, btw, from a dos prompt, by running a dos batch script
inside the /install/ folder off the root of the cd.

alex