Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

On Monday 21 January 2002 11:28 am, Colin Watson wrote:

> >   martin> go and pay. contribute, donate. speak to me if you want to
> >   martin> know where to turn to. or any other developer. noone will
> >   martin> keep you from paying as much as you want for debian, and if
> >   martin> you want to pay $50 for everytime you apt-get -u
> >   martin> dist-upgrade, we aren't going to object. if you start
> >   martin> charging, i am leaving, and i guarantee you that most every
> >   martin> other developer will too.
> >
> > I donate everytime I buy a CD.
>
> If you donate, that's brilliant, and very kind. Don't let anyone stop
> you!
>
> Not everyone can afford to pay for software, though. We've had enquiries
> from schools for underprivileged children in poor countries asking what
> they have to pay to install Debian on all the computers in their school,
> and we tell them "nothing" and try to find out if there's a local
> developer who can help them set things up. Lots of our users have a fast
> connection at college but would rather work on not racking up enormous
> amounts of debt than pay for their operating system. Lots of our
> developers started out as these very users.

the fact that debian exists is proof enough that those who use it are glad of
it and also willing to contribute to improving its usage for everyone in the
greater community of users, in whatever way they can. the currency that is
traded is that willingness, as an expression of appreciation. this is a
unique experience in human history, and all the more valuable because of the
huge range of people who benefit from its existence. it's a social adventure
akin to democracy that so far has resisted being confused or corrupted by
coupling itself to any particular moral or economic ethic. if not for the
fact that it's free, in every sense of the word, it wouldn't even be here as
a forum for this discussion.

to those of you who do contribute so much, thanks. your work is appreciated.

ben