Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

also sprach briand@zipcon.net <briand@zipcon.net> [2002.01.21.1735 +0100]:
> Debian should start charging for high-speed apt-get/dselect/whatever
> downloads from it's sites.  56k is free, anything faster you pay for.
> Then we can pay people to work on the not fun stuff that needs doing.
>
> And people who download ISO's to sell should be paying a LOT.

do WHAT?

uhm, go and read up on what free software means, and what Debian is.

> And this is not a troll.

and it's not april fool's day today, don't forget that!

> Debian is worth it, although there has been a lot of grumbling about
> it lately (some of it deserved).  I personally would pay (more).

go and pay. contribute, donate. speak to me if you want to know where to
turn to. or any other developer. noone will keep you from paying as much
as you want for debian, and if you want to pay $50 for everytime you
apt-get -u dist-upgrade, we aren't going to object. if you start
charging, i am leaving, and i guarantee you that most every other
developer will too.

> I would like to see more effort directed at the "not fun" stuff in
> development, like error handling, documentation, testing, correctness
> of packaging.  People working in their spare time don't like to do
> these sorts of tasks and I don't blame them.

want to fund us? or hire me to fix all the bugs? i promise to fix at
least 5 bugs a day.

> I honestly think that more money could make Debian an even better
> distribution.

there are a lot of things that money can do, and a lot more that i can't
do.

micros~1: for when quality, reliability, and security
          just aren't that important!