Re: kernel 2.4.17...2 strange things

wsa declaimed:
> Hi,
>
> Today i upgared from potato to woody...
> with:
> dselect update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> (just mentioning it cause this might be the wrong way?)
>
> And i switched to a 2.4.17 kernel.
>
> Now i have 2 NICs....different brands...realtek and 3com.
> eth0, the realtek,  connnectiong to the net and eth1 for the LAN,
> which is a 3com ISAPNP NIC.
> Both are compiled into the kernel.
> First thing i noticed that the NICs had switched....realtek became
> eth1 and 3com eth0....grrrrrrrrrrr.
Look at the Ethernet HOWTO, it covers assigning these. Test at boot,
then used 'append' in LILO. The examples are kind of spread out, but
look at the stuff for 3COM ISA cards. By default the system applies eth0
to the first card found, so a brute-force solution is to try swapping
the cards...

> The other problem is that with my previous 2.2.19 kernel the 3com
> was detected at IRQ7 and 0x300 which is what it is set to...
> (checked with the 3com utils)
>
> But with 2.4.17 it gives me IRQ12 and base 220....which is the PS2 port
> IRQ...(so no mouse either)
> I checked again with the 3com utils and the card was still set to 7/300
>
> From what i can tell i did compile the kernel with all the right options
> including PNPisa.
>
> How do i solve this?
Start by seeing if you can get the eth0/eth1 assignments back the way
you like them. it might fix things. You didn't change any BIOS settings
that would affect IRQ assignments, did you?

> And another thing...i also noticed that on mounted vfat windows partitions
> every file and every directory now gets marked as executable...
> Is this normal?
The 'ls -l' output for vfat is mostly bogus, the vfat file system
doesn't really have those properties. I wouldn't trust anything except
for the filename & modify date.

BTW: Because you replied to a message and changed the title when you
started this thread, your email got buried in a different thread instead
of starting a new one. Next time you post, just start with a new message.

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Another look at Sept 11
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/